Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Virtual Field Trips got me like WOAH!

HOLY. CRAP.

I literally just spent fifteen minutes staring at the streets of Florence.  Beautiful Firenze.  Reminiscing about the time I spent there, remembering the emotions I felt when I stood next to that vacant soccer field, and the left turn we made to go see the house where one of the Italian greats died.  This,  this is mind-blowing.  Google never ceases to amaze me.

What I think I could use this for in my classroom is to introduce all the students to the places of interests of the countries they come from.  I might use this as a unit in the beginning of the school year, part of the "getting to know you," weeks of school.  While I have so much desire to teach my students English and help them establish a sense of identity as an American, I still want them to feel proud of themselves as a citizen of whatever country they come from.  If you're spanish and I show the Santiago de Compostella section, be proud!  If you're Chinese and I bring us to The Great Wall, be proud!  This is a great educational tool to bring students to other places of the world so they can get a sense of the culture their classmates are coming from.

I think leaving class tonight I'm way more comfortable with the idea of a web quest and using digication to create it versus a regular word document and an accompanying powerpoint.  I'm excited to make mine and be as creative and content conscious as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment