Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chapter 7 and 8

So.  Digital learning games.  Pretty awesome huh.  Math Blaster was my favorite game!  I also really enjoyed the Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.  Digital educational games can be a life saver in or out of the classroom.  As an only child who grew up with her grandparents, I spent a ton of hours on the computer playing computer games.  When I was younger they were Disney games, like The Lion King, Pochahontas, Barbie etc; However, as I got older, my grandparents invested in more educational games.  While I never did see an improvement in my math, because I still suck, I did improve my WPM with Mavis.  So what can we do as teachers to ensure that our students enjoy their digital educational games and to make sure that they're learning from them.  With the addition of all the mobile technology in classrooms (i.e. iPads and tablets) educational games are a big market for a lot of creators and for us as educators.  The availability of all these games and apps makes it easier for students to access all parts of their content both in the class and at home.  The one problem I seem to find in the use of these digital games is that it creates less social interaction.  School is supposed to help mold our children in all areas of life; to be social, to be educated and to be empowered.  Are we failing them by implementing the use of these digital games?

5 comments:

  1. I too have a horrible history with Math, I wish Khan Academy would have existed back when I was growing up. I don't think we are failing young students by implementing the use of digital games, some kids learn slower than others, with games students can learn at their own pace. Unfortunately this is where our society is headed we can't go against such a strong movement in the digital influences, we might as well make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely important to ensure that there is an educational value to the use of any technology in the classroom. Using technology should be used in order to increase student engagement and learning, so it is ideal that there needs to be a learning outcome for each student through the use of educational games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, I also grew up with programs like Mavis to improve typing skills and it was so beneficial! While I think computer games are good for students to work on certain skills I don't think they should be used in isolation. I agree that students should be involved in learning as a social activity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the computer games that I remember the most was Jumpstart ___ grade. This was a software that was downloaded onto computers using a CD rom during the mid to late 90s/early 2000s. In particular, I had Jumpstart 2nd grade. This was my favorite computer game and my neighbor and I would play it constantly (even more than Barbie Horses). We would practice fractions, parts of speech, learn about great artists, and even did math. I LOVED playing this game which made learning fun. I recently tried to track it down on a nostalgic whim, but I couldn't find it.

    If this was such a fun game during the 90s, I cannot imagine the vast amount of engaging games there are out there now!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney, Great blog! Games is good if it is educational, As a child no game for me, games was not out in the 50's. But , I loved to play game now, especially solitaire, love it. candy crush, and sudko.

    ReplyDelete