Sunday, September 28, 2014

Chapter Four

So, chapter four is entitled "designing lessons and developing curriculum with technology."  Obviously, its about how technology is going to help us in our lesson planning.  What gets me about this is that how do we know that teachers aren't solely relying on the internet for their curriculum?  As teachers, and even as students, we hear all the time that we shouldn't rely on wikipedia, or from online sources, but that we need to dig deep into the archives of the library to find more sources for our papers, etc.  But, how do you tell a teacher that they HAVE to make their own work sheet, webquest, lesson plan?

While I'm pessimistic about teachers using any and everything that they find online as a means to get out of creating something on their own, I am optimistic about my own personal use of technology in not only lesson planning but in my classroom as a whole.  If you've ever done one of the color personality tests, you'll understand the reference, but I'm totally a Gold.  Everything has to be in order, promptly on time, organized and efficient, so what I'm most excited for is to be able to create an online grading system where my students who take a test or hand in a paper on a friday won't have to wait until monday for their grade.  They can have it Saturday when I'm done grading.

I am also super excited to be a 21st century teacher because we have access to so many advanced technologies.  Apps that we can use on ipads and phones, software that makes plans and curriculum maps easier to design and create.  My favorite is the common core app from the App store.  I use it when designing my lesson plans for classes here at St. John's.  It makes it simple to find the standards and to filter what you're looking for based on grade level and subject matter.   Since common core is something we all have to deal with in our program I suggest everyone download it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Courtney,

    You bring up some great points in your post! The textbook continually stresses the idea of using technology in circumstances when it is necessary, not just convenient. It asks, what can we do with technology that CANNOT be done without it? I agree with you and think that sometimes internet use can get out of hand and can replace some tried and tested teaching techniques. As teachers, we just need to be aware of the ever-changing tech-crazy society that we live in, and use tools to supplement our planning, not replace it. I was thinking this when we were discussing the ClassDojo app last week. In my head, I was thinking "how is this really different from placing a sheet with gold stars on the wall?" That being said, there are some convenient apps, like the common core one that you mentioned. As always, it must be a balancing act!

    ReplyDelete